Thursday, November 29, 2012

Teaching kids to LOVE good food - Scallops in butter wine sauce with roasted veggies and couscous

In this house we believe that children deserve good food as much as we do. We started at a very young age, flavoring even their jarred baby food....who wants to eat watered down mush? EWWW! All meals at our house are wholesome and delicious. We round each meal with fruits or veggies and those are usually my children's favorite parts. So many times I have been asked how I got my kids to be such great eaters. It's pretty simple. It's usually their only option. We don't fill our cupboards with processed junk or chicken nuggets that I found out actually have bone particles and all sorts of other parts of God knows what animal, in them. Those are not choices I was going to make for my children. Growing up thinking that Little Debbie's swiss cake rolls was  a "snack" and was packed in my lunch daily. HELL NO....not in this house. I made this promise to myself months before my children took their first breath. If your children are offered "good" food only, then they will learn to love it. I truly believe that. When my kids are offered mac and cheese or chicken nuggets they make faces of disgust....or they are super excited until they try it and then the push their bowls away after a bite or two. No flavor, not consistency, and no nutrition. Why would I give that to them. Food is Fuel. I want to fill their bodies with the good stuff and plenty of it. BUT, I want to taste amazing too! I also need my food to fit within a budget, that can sometimes be challenging but I have mastered that at this point. I will blog on that in the future! My kids know that at every meal they will be required to try everything. That has been the rule from the get-go. After a taste it's their choice what they eat. There is no other options after meals though. I think this is the mistake that most parents make when trying new things. If they try it and they say they don't like it and you pull out processed crap that fills their bellies for the time being that's what they will get used to. My kids generally clean their plates and ask for more. I start their portions small. A couple bites of everything and if they want more of something...the answer is always yes...unless they want more milk....they have to eat a decent amount to get that. When they are done. They are done. I don't argue. I don't demand they finish what I would consider a good amount of food. I let their bellies be their guide. I wish I had learned that at a young age....I didn't...I'm still learning!



Tonight's Dinner:
Scallops in a butter wine sauce with roasted Veggies and couscous

This portion fed 1 adult 3 kids no left overs (except couscous)
prep and cook time: 22 minutes combined


Ingredients:
1/2lb Large sea scallops
olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 dried or fresh tarragon
dash of salt
1 Tablespoon butter
pepper to taste

1. Pat dry scallops. Heat oil in large skillet on med heat. Cook on each side until browned and cooked through (took me about 3-5 min on each side) remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Add Wine, tarragon, salt and pepper to pan. stir scrapping over the brown bits left my scallops. Add butter and simmer for 5 min. Pour sauce over scallops and devour!

Roasted Veggies.
Ingredients:
1/2 red pepper
1 plum tomato
1 bundle of asparagus
sprinkle of oregano
sprinkle of parsley
sprinkle of Seasoned garlic salt
olive oil
Feta cheese

1. Cut pepper into thin slices. Cut tomato into bite size pieces. Cut tops of asparagus.
 2.Put Veggies on a broil safe pan. dash seasoning over them. Drizzle oil and toss veggies.
3. Put veggies on low broil for 5 min. Turn up to high until veggies are looking crisp but not burnt. Sprinkle feta cheese over veggies and put back under heat for 1-2 min until cheese softened.

No comments:

Post a Comment